Friday, July 13, 2012

Another lazy but awesome summer friday

Spent last night playing empire earth.. slept at 7:30 PM in morn, woke about 1 PM, nice :)

However some real firsts added to today which have me satisfied with this day.

Configured Empire Earth on laptop and on my PC. So that I and Naqiyah could play as a team.  To say that she's caught on to Strategy gaming is to put it mildly. Awesome fun. We played till 6 with just a break for lunch.  So I guess network gaming in our house is going to be one of popular way of spending weekends ( My bro will join in via internet on the new PC that I bought for gaming for him.. he's been surviving on 2-3 hrs of sleep a day since last week as he's been going through the backlog of all strategy games he's missed out on in past years. You can say he's bigger fan then I am )

I was planning to take Naqiyah to Cocktail as she doesn't watch hindi movies, nor does she see much TV so really she needs help to keep brushed up on Hindi. I've decided to force her to watch hindi movies with me, however it being the first day of release and a weekend,  Cocktail tickets were all sold out for evening show, so I canxed the movie plan, and was considering how to plan the evening. Amy messaged that the couchsurfing live music get together was tonight and offered for me to join her. Basically bunch of surfers get together and play various musical instruments (mostly indians) and add nice company, drinks and conversation could be a fun and memorable evening. I've never been but its at Manish's place where Aneta was staying for a while, and Amy is a regular, so joining in would be easy for me. However Naqiyah did not really want to go and hence I was about two minds whether to go or not, when i got a brilliant idea.

 I took out the roller skates that I'd bought for Naqiyah from ages, and we decided to practice skating. She has had some practice on ice skating but she'd never tried roller skating before. It was awesome fun and within 30 mins she was skating along quite smoothly. She skated for around 45 mins and its gonna be another one of those things which she will hopefully learn this summer ( She's already covered 35% of keyboard and is well on the way to becoming a good touch typist).  It was another first for us.

I also promised to take her to the pool for a swim at night as we had never done it before (swimming at night). Water was just right, although light was a bit low with just a single tubelight. However today was another day for many firsts in the pool. Yesterday as Christy didn't know freestyle and was asking me how to do it, Naqiyah saw this. I showed her but she managed just few splashes. However today she did whole horizontal laps with crawl ( free style) including breathing technique ( means u breath out in the water and turn ur face up to breath in, and back to breathing out under water).. That was awesome first, as I was always worried when she would learn free style and if I could ever get her to do it. Next seems she'd picked today to amaze me... Yesterday to make her jump into the pool I had to cajole her and pressurize (involves me shouting a bit at her) her.. However today suddenly she said she wanted to try to dive... Although immediately after bending down to dive, she jumped. After lot of guiding, cajoling and appealing to her braver side, she finally managed an awkward dive.. But after that there was no stopping her.. She kept going back up for dive after dive.. until I had to stop her firmly. The problem was that after diving water being a little dark, I had difficulty seeing her under water.. and I was always worrying about if she had held her breath properly.. So another first for her was a diving..

More to come though... as soon as she started diving, she also got more confident under water, and started doing flips and rolls underwater... Also for the first time she swam under water and touch the floor of the pool.  If you ever try you will feel that sensation of water pressure building inside ur nostril when you try to swim straight down... seems it does not stop her at all! She was an absolute water baby under water today.

And then she usually likes to swim backwards a bit and asks me to hold her from bottom so that she can float or 'sleep' on the water to relax.. today I left her while she was sleeping and she floated on. Now she can absolutely comfortably float around in the water on her back without moving her arms or legs, something I can never do in the pool ( I always blamed lack of fat , but if she can do it.. I have no excuses)

Then we came down and finally she got her wish to make a muffin and , even as I write this I can smell freshly baked muffin right out of the oven...

A nice nice day this :)

No comments: